This intensive English camp is designed for students from other countries who want to prepare themselves for a regular American school and accomplish academic work in a regular American classroom. The curriculum is literature-based with emphasis in developing practical skills in listening, speaking, reading, writing, grammar, and vocabulary. Be prepared to work hard!
Successfully completing class assignments and homework will be required. Each day students will receive 3 hours of instruction with the teacher. The camp will have two levels of English ability. The Level 1 camp is for basic to intermediate English ability students. The Level 2 camp is for high intermediate to advanced English ability students looking to enter an American middle or high school. Students need teacher approval to take the Level 2 class.
Each camp session is independent and students can enter any session they want or take both. Please note that for any student looking to enroll into an American middle or high school, it is highly recommended that they enroll in and complete both sessions. It will take at least 6 weeks of class to help prepare for the rigors of academic work in an English-only environment.
Each 3-week session has 3 hours of daily training with the teacher (with an optional fourth hour to prepare for a drama performance). In each session students will:
- Read and analyze one novel (level 1 students read an abridged novel, Level 2 students read a novel in its original language)
- Discuss 3 classical poems (one per week)…and write his/her own poems (one per week)
- Have daily lessons about English grammar
- Engage in daily discussions and readings about American culture, current events, science, and/or history information
- Develop academic vocabulary and academic skills that are used in all subjects taught in American schools.
- Hold class discussions and at least 2 formal debates on current events issues.
- Write and edit at least one persuasive essay
- Give one formal speech presentation in front of the class
Each camp session uses different learning materials. Students who enroll for more than one session will be learning something new in each session.